Saturday, July 14, 2007

A Random Realization

I really do not know why I thought the late nights and studying would end when I recieved my college diploma. Mistakenly, I assumed the cramming, intense reading and note taking, and class organization would end when my undergrad days did. I would pick those habits back up when I went back to school for my Master's. Not so much.

Every night this week has found me up as late as midnight, typing ideas on the computer or reading out of the school books. I've been trying to figure out what to teach and what to leave out, how to organize the classes, and how to make things run as smoothly as possible. I want to do right and teach those kids as best I can. I want them to know the Truth and know how to use it. I want to teach the kids properly, showing them that learning can be fun. I want to teach them how the Faith is in every aspect of our society.

The other night, a thought occurred to me. I think I discovered the real grain behind teaching. A good teacher wants to teach much; a great teacher wants to learn much. I am very excited to see what I learn this coming year. We think we know everything, but we all know so little. Most often, it is those who are younger than us who know more than we.

So, I shall keep my journey here, for those who care to follow along. And you, my humble reader, may share your thoughts with me.

2 comments:

Ibid said...

You really thought you would stop staying up to the wee small hours of the morning? Its in you know. Why wait till tomorrow to do what you can do at 12 am?

J. Smith said...

It is sad that our college days had to come to an end. For several years after leaving school, all I wanted was to go back there and live my four years over again. Then, later, I came to realize that this is part and parcel of the human experience - every stage of our lives is beautiful in its own way and leaves us with a longing and (sometimes) a sense of incompleteness. Why is the grass always greener on the other side? Because our souls were not made for this world! "Our hearts are restless, Lord, until they rest in Thee!" St. Augustine said it best - all of the beauty we find in this life is merely a foretaste of the heaven we were put here to one day enjoy!